Wading through the rolling surf on a sandy beach, strolling jacket-free on the meandering paths of Central Park, diving into the water at the deep end of a turquoise pool, patio dining with friends while sipping a chilled glass of rosé… these are the moments of which my favorite summer memories are made. That being said, as we spend more time outdoors during the summer months, it means that the skin, our body’s largest organ and protective barrier, is taxed by increased exposure to sun and wind, as well as other elements, such as chlorine and salt water. While these summer activities fuel our souls, which is why they are far too precious for most of us to forego, they can also lead to increased wear and tear on our skin. This is why it is so important to take proper preventative and restorative actions before and after spending time outdoors. So, you may be asking, “what can I do to minimize the damage and maintain healthy, resilient skin from head to toe?” Read below for my best tips and tricks for summer skincare both before and after fun in the sun!
Enjoy the Glow!
BEFORE AND DURING SUN EXPOSURE:1. Wear Sunscreen—look for a broad-spectrum sunscreen SPF 30+
How much sunscreen should you apply?
- For face and neck, use the “Two-Finger Hack:” squeezing two thick lines of sunscreen along the entire length of your index and middle fingers is a good method for eyeballing the proper amount to cover your face and neck.
- For Body: apply one ounce to cover your entire body, the equivalent of a full shot glass (skincancer.org).
Make sure that you are reapplying as directed. According to skincancer.org, reapplication should occur at least every two hours and even more frequently if swimming or sweating heavily.
2. Wear protective clothing when possible—wide brimmed hats are both fashionable and functional!
3. Limit midday sun!
- Be mindful that the sun’s rays are strongest between 10am and 4pm (EPA.gov). Plan outdoor activities on either side of this window when possible. If you can’t avoid this window, seek the shade of a tree or umbrella when possible.
AFTER SUN EXPOSURE:
1. Remove sunscreen properly
- As sunscreen is formulated to stay where put, especially sweat/water resistant varieties, it can take a bit of extra effort to remove. Using and oil-based cleanser like After Show Treatment Cleanser or After Show Treatment Cleanser for Sensitive Skin for face and After Show Body Cleanser for body skin can really help to break down and emulsify sunscreen.
- It is recommended to double cleanse your face in the evening if you have reapplied sunscreen during the day. You can feel free to use the same cleanser twice, or you can opt to follow your oil- or cream-based cleanser with a water-soluble gel cleanser, like The Matinee Gel Cleanser.
- Apply a cream or oil, like Olio Per Il Corpo Body Oil, to damp skin to combat time spent in heat, chlorine, and salt water. For some extra oomph, layer the Body Oil over a hydrating spray, like Hydrate the Mist, to replenish both water and lipid content in body skin.
- As too much time in the sun can also compromise the skin’s barrier function, it may be a good idea to look for facial creams or body lotions with ceramides when you’ve overdone it. Ceramides, like those found in Moisture Recovery Cream, can restore lipid levels and help reduce water loss in the skin. Click here to access to our previous blog post dedicated to all things ceramides and learn more.
3. Wash hats and beach towels frequently
- These items can collect sweat, sand, dirt, and product residue, which can then begin to irritate skin and clog pores, leading to breakouts.
4. Cool and pamper
- Chill skin-massaging tools made of smooth stone or metal in the refrigerator and then use to gently work in serums and eye products while take heat out of the skin. I like to use Floraisan’s Cryo Sticks, but you can also use the back of a cool spoon!
If you would like to read more content like this, delivered directly to your inbox, sign up for our email newsletter by clicking here.
- New email subscribers receive will receive 15% off their next order on www.jordansamuelskin.com!