Welcome to the second installment of my Old vs. New series! If you missed the first post, check it out here. The gist is this: in anticipation of launching in the UK and EU later this year, I’ve taken the opportunity to refine and update some of my formulas. This allows me to offer every single Jordan Samuel Skin fan the best experience and highest quality possible—that means one global formula for any given product, no matter where you live. Read on as I run through what that change means for the new Soothing Facial Oil!
What is it?
Soothing Facial Oil is a twist on my former Étoile Facial Oil. It’s a plant oil blend that calms, fortifies, and nourishes even the most sensitive skin.
How are they similar?
When applying the new Soothing Facial Oil, you’ll notice it has the same texture as Étoile. That’s because the base of the formula still centers on sweet almond oil and cranberry seed oil. I love cranberry seed oil in particular for its restorative and antioxidant properties; it’s perfectly suited for a soothing and fortifying oil blend. Other oils from the previous Étoile blend also return in this new iteration—marula, rosehip oil, and olive-derived squalane are still part of the troupe. I also kept ubiquinone (AKA CoQ10, a potent antioxidant that naturally occurs in skin) in the new Soothing Facial Oil.
In terms of experience, the first thing you’ll likely notice is the color. While the evening primrose and argan oils in Étoile had more of a golden hue, the new Soothing Facial Oil is clearer in tone. It’s also more scent-neutral. When it comes to ingredients, Soothing Facial Oil features a new star ingredient for me: soy bioflavonoids. They provide both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits for healthier, calmer skin. Soothing Facial Oil also includes pequi butter, which lends a rich and protective feel while drenching skin in a type of antioxidant called carotenoids—it happens to be the same antioxidant that gives plants like carrots, pumpkins, and sweet potatoes their color.
How do I use it?
- Straight up. Apply 3-5 drops at the end of your PM skincare routine, or before SPF in your AM routine.
- For sensitive skin, add Soothing Facial Oil to a more active facial oil (such as a retinol oil) to buffer it.
- Hydrating peptides, meet nourishing oil. Mix a few drops of Soothing Facial Oil in the palm of your hand with my Performance Cream, then apply. It creates a gorgeously balanced skin moisturizer.
- Mix equal parts Soothing Facial Oil with Hydrate Facial Serum for a one-two punch of deep hydration and skin-conditioning protection.
- Compromised skin? Hitting the exfoliants too hard? Try a thicker layer of Soothing Facial Oil at night to help reconstitute your skin’s barrier.
These ideas are only the beginning. Feel free to experiment, find new uses, and choreograph your own unique routine!